Importance Of Social Media To An Independent Music Artist
In this 21st century, social networking has proved to be the most powerful tool through which content can be shared to most parts of the world regardless of which area code the content has been produced from.
If you are an independent music artist, interested in making as much music for yourself but don’t care about its distribution, then social media is not for you.
Any independent musician that chooses to take a step to use social media for music promotion, platforms like; Facebook (the largest social media platform with over 1 billion active users), YouTube, ReverbNation, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Drooble, and Twitter will not only offer opportunity to share your music but also play a big role of public relation for you as an independent artist. As an artist you will be able to sell your brand to the world which makes it much cheaper to sustain as opposed to paying a marketing team to sell your brand.
With all the advantages that come with signing up to social media platforms, for an independent music artist, it also provides a rich opportunity that no other platform can offer. Some of these benefits include;
- The ability to reach out directly to your fans.
- Ability to market oneself to over 1 billion users around the world.
- The ease to spread out your content.
With the above listed benefits and more that could be added onto the list, the most important question that arises when we mention the use of social media is how to optimally utilize its potential to fulfil your need as an independent music artist.
How can an independent artist optimally use social media
Below, I recommend three ways an independent music artist can use social media to his advantage;
1. Building a community: This is the first step to grab attention of your target audience. It helps you to create a direct bond with your fans. The fans are what will make you as an artist.
The easiest ways to build a community as an artist is;
- Do occasional livestreaming on your social media such that your fans and audience can get to know you on a personal level. The livestreams can be in form of Q&A sessions, backstage experience, and or anything that will bring you closer to your fans.
- Do occasional reach outs to your fans such that you can build a connection which is necessary for building a dedicated fan base.
2. Providing regular content: The most important reason as to why you are using social media is to create a platform for your content. This means that you are entitled to providing regular content for your social media audience.
Here are a few ways you can make sure that your social media content is always updated;
- Upload all your new content soon as it is ready for release.
- Help other artists out by uploading their music onto your social media.
- Do occasional livestreams while at home, or in studio to have your audience anticipating for something new each time they visit your social media pages.
3. Being consistent: Many artists on social media lack consistency when it comes to providing content for their audience regularly. This can greatly affect your social media numbers whereas most people respond best when they find new content each time, they visit your platforms.
Being consistent with your social media engagements will generate a positive response from your audience and help you grow your fan base.
As an independent music artist, social media is the most important tool that will take your music to the next level. Take time to build an audience/community on various social media sites in your reach. Doing this will take your music career in a positive shift.